Tuesday, December 20, 2005

12 June 1999

12 June 1999

Yesterday (which is really just a few hours ago--it's 1.47 in the morning) my mater (or möter as I now address her) and I watched "Ten Things I Hate About You", an adaptation of the Shakespeare play "The Taming of The Shrew". Like another recently viewed movie "Cruel Intentions", "Ten Things..." was pubertized (if there is such a word) to appeal to a younger, presumably more hip generation. But unlike "Cruel Intentions" I laud it for its intelligent dialogue, and mirthful presentation. I like this movie, oh heck I'm giving it all...I love this movie!

Maybe I'm giving this movie more credit than it deserves, it's probably from my tremendous relief that a teen flick can still be entertaining even if it is devoid of Attitude. Because Attitude was all I got from "Cruel...". Never mind that Ryan Phillipe's adonis-worthy butt was unclothed, or Buffy was cast as a heinous bitch (a term I picked up from "Ten..."), "Cruel..." sucks. I've seen only snippets of "Dangerous Liaisons" from a documentary about Glenn Close, but it's obvious that "Cruel..." was waaaaay off the mark.

"Cruel...", I forgot to mention, is another adaptation of a very acclaimed piece of literature, "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" from a French author whose name escapes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home