Tuesday, December 20, 2005

19 April 2004

19 April 2004

Five Albums That Influenced My Musical Preferences (Continuation Of Yesterday's Compulsion):

1. Queen - Greatest Hits (That and Lisa Stansfield's second album where the first tapes I ever chose for myself. I just chose the Queen tape on a whim unaware that they had hits other than "Bohemian Rhapsody". Rock opera indeed; Freddy Mercury's death anniversary should be a holiday.)

2. The Presidents of the United States - II (Sophisticated musicality masked by pockets of honky-tonk and whimsical lyrics.)

3. The Smiths - Best I (And here I thought The Cure was THE band of the New Wave era.)

4. Fiona Apple - Tidal (Throughout first year college I was known as the girl that was obsessed with Fiona Apple. I listened to her album for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was completely in love with her music and it opened the door for Paula Cole, Tori Amos, and Bjork.)

5. Bjork - Homogenic (She in turn introduced me to the entracing heights of Electronica. After discovering her, I could confidently say that I'm open to all musical genres now.)

Special Mention:

U2 - The Best of 1980-1990 (But I was already into Eighties music around the time that I got their and The Police's greatest hits albums.)

(Bach or Haydn?) - Air On A G-String (Classical music was something to be studied and tolerated before I heard this heavenly piece.)

The Best of Village People, Donna Summer Walk Away: Collector's Edition The Best of 1977-1980, and ABBA Arrival (Disco music is in my blood now. I don't care if it's accused of trashiness and being too bubblegum.)

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (My bridge to Richard Wagner, Cecilia Bartoli and other operatic delights.)

The Sound Of Music OST (Broadway music is so grand and uplifting.)

Bing Crosby in High Society (His performance with Old Blue Eyes pretty much cemented my love for big band and jazz music.)

***

I think I'm channeling Rob from High Fidelity. I don't know what brought this on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home